PIN seeks court intervention to halt FG, NCC from disconnecting Nigerians
By Gabriel Chy Alonta
Paradigm Initiative has urged courts to restrain the Nigerian government and telecommunications service provider from carrying out a recent order requiring that all SIM cards not linked to the National Identity Numbers be disconnected by the telecoms service provider by December 30, 2021.
The group made this call in a statement, as Nigerian Communications Commissions gears towards the implementation of Federal Government’s directives.
The organisation said the move was against the Nigerian government’s order requiring all telecommunication service providers to ask their subscribers to link their National Identification Numbers (NIN) to the SIM cards within two weeks.
PIN said it is seeking a perpetual injunction restraining the government and the service providers from carrying out what they described as draconian order as it believes it is a violation of fundamental rights to freedom of expression of Nigerian Citizens as guaranteed by Section 39 of the Nigerian 1999 constitution (As amended).
According to them, the proposed blocking of SIM cards not linked with the National Identity Number is unlawful and unconstitutional.
It would be recalled that in June 2020, the Director-General of the NIMC, Aliyu Aziz said only 38% of Nigerians have any form of identification.
However, the Senior Program Manager at Paradigm Initiative, Adeboye Adegoke opined that “Many young people and others, using their mobile phones for expression or to do business online will be affected by the poorly thought-out policy. No reasonable Nigerian will support such a policy that is geared towards making life unbearable for Nigerian citizens.
“Over 100 million Nigerians have no identity (ID). These include the poorest and the most vulnerable groups, such as the marginalised – women and girls, the less-educated people, migrants, refugees, asylum seekers, stateless persons, people with disabilities and people living in rural and remote areas.”
“The said policy has created panic in the polity since it was announced. Nigeria at the moment is experiencing a 2nd wave of the COVID-19 pandemic according to the daily numbers from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in the past one week”.
“This is a time when we need to discourage public gatherings, crowding, and the likes, but it appears that the government is not sensitive enough to see those nuances and has asked that 100 million Nigerians should go and register for the National Identification Number within 2 weeks, so we are left with no choice but to seek the intervention of the court.
Also, PIN Communications Officer, Valery Nijaba said, “Requiring over 100 million Nigerian citizens to register for NIN in two weeks is not only unrealistic but a fire brigade approach to governance that will not bring any value to the people
“Whatever the government is trying to achieve by the strange directive is ignoble. When the same government tried to compel students writing UTME examinations to register for the NIN as a pre-requisite to sitting for the examinations last year, many students couldn’t register, with documented cases of government officials and law enforcement officials weaponising the desperation of the students to register for NIN to extort them and their parents. The government was forced to walk back on the policy at that instance. These are the type of effects the fire-brigade approach to policy making leads to”.