Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Year-old child perishes in Anambra candle fire

0 44

By Phil Okose, Onitsha

A one-year-old child has been consumed by fire caused by a candle flame at Ogbeotu Quarters, Ikenga village, Ogidi, Idemili North local government area, Anambra state.

Orient Daily learnt that the incident which took place last Monday at about 9pm, also let the deceased’s brother, aged two and half years with severe burns and fighting for his life at hospital.

It was gathered that the child’s father, a mason, was out of the house while his wife (the children’s mother) went to buy some items in a nearby shop.

According to a source, the victims, with their other siblings fell asleep shortly after their parents left.  “As they were sleeping, the candle fell on top of the table and the flame extended to other flammable items that spread the fire to entire apartment. As thick smoke billowed from the bungalow, co-tenants raised alarm and rushed with other sympathisers to rescue the children.”

The child was already dead by the time the rescue team arrived while the lucky two-and-half-year-old was rescued but not without severe burns all over his body.

About three other elder siblings of the victims were said to have managed to escape from the scene when the inferno started.

When this paper visited the scene, the entire bungalow was deserted but an eyewitness said that, “the rescue team, on arrival, broke the doors and windows as the entire place was under lock and key.”

“Both the dead and the survivors have been taken to Saint Charles Borromeo morgue and hospital. Their mother went with them to nurse the survivor.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: