- Netherlands U17 team are current European champions. They won the trophy in 2017, 2011, 2012 and 2019, making it four times the young Oranje men lifted the crown.
- Nigeria and Netherlands are meeting at the FIFA U 17 World Cup for the first time. Their fans in Gioania are happy when the fixtures pitched them against the Golden Eaglets of Nigeria.
- The first time Netherlands reached the round of 16 of the FIFA U17 World Cup was 2005 in Peru. That time, they finished third in the tournament. Incidentally, Nigeria were absent at that year’s tournament following coach Godwin Izillien’s inability to secure Nigeria a ticket during the African qualifiers.
- Peter Van Der Veen is the caretaker coach of the team. He was appointed on16th October, 2019. He is 61 years.
- Van Der Veen has at his disposal the best crop of talented Dutch players. 16 players compete in the domestic Netherlands leagues with most players, eight coming from the youth team of Dutch power house of club football, Ajax.
- 14 players are in the books of Eredivisie clubs in the Netherlands.
- Five players are plying their trade outside Netherlands. Three in England, one in Belgium and another one in Germany.
Netherlands U 17 Full Squad
GOALKEEPERS (3): 1-Calvin Raatsie (Ajax), 21-Tein Troost (Feyenoord), 16-Bart Verbruggen (NAC Breda)
3-Melayro Bogarde (Hoffenheim/GER), 5-Anss Salah Eddine (Ajax), 2-Ki-Jana Hoever (Liverpool/ENG), 15-Yannick Leliendal (Genk/BEL), 4-Devyne Rensch (Ajax), 12-Steven van der Sloot (Ajax)
8-Ian Maatssen (Chelsea/ENG), 14-Dirk Proper (N.E.C.), 13-Youri Regeer (Ajax), 6-Kenneth Taylor (Ajax), 10-Mohamed Taabouni (AZ Alkmaar), 11-Naci Unuvar (Ajax)
FORWARDS (6): 18-Soullyman Allouch (AZ Alkmaar), 9-Noufal Bannis (Feyenoord), 17-Jayden Braaf (Manchester City/ENG), 20-Djenairo Daniels (PSV Eindhoven), 7-Sontje Hansen (Ajax), 19-Romano Postema (Gronigen)
- Sontje Hansen is the number one threat in the attack of Netherlands. He demolished United States with his brace and an assist as his country won 4-0 on Saturday.
He is very skillful, fast and pacy, with dribbling runs into the vital area of the opponents. Golden Eaglets defence must be allow him free space to operate.
Hansen in action against United States
- The team is not immune to red card. Melayro Bogarde that plies his trade with Hoffenheim in Germany has a red card to his name in the tournament at the group stage but he is free to play against Nigeria this Tuesday night.
- Ki- Jana Hoever is the life wire in the heart of the defence of Netherlands. The Liverpool of England youth team young defender played as a right full back in their loss games against Japan and Senegal , before he was drafted to play in the central defence against the United States and he performed very well.
- But the team is very vulnerable at the back, having concede six goals in the tournament so far. Fortunately, Netherlands kept a clean sheet against United States.
- Netherlands U17 team are high goals scoring side on a good day, but they can also be frustrated by their opponents from hitting the back of the net at will. It happened when the team drew with Kosovo 1-1, despite having 90% of ball possession and 21 shots on goal.
- Japan completely exposed the weaknesses of the Netherlands as they pummelled the European champions 3-0 in the opening game in Group D. Senegal continued from where Japan stopped by beating them 3-1, although it was the Dutch side that scored first.
The truth is this, Netherlands U 17 team are a very good side, but they are beatable by the Golden Eaglets of Nigeria, if the Nigerian kids can play to their strength as a team. 8pm Brazilian time, which is 12 midnight Nigeria time is the kick off time.