Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Over 1000 participate in Nnewi Walk for Health

0 72

By Gabriel Chy Alonta & Lawrence Nwimo

No fewer than 1000 individuals on Saturday stormed Nnewi High School to participate in Nnewi Walk for Life, aimed at sensitising the Nnewi public on the usefulness of exercise as one of the prerequisites to healthy living.

A similar event had been held in the capital city of Awka in the past.

The participants took off from Nnewi High School where they had assembled as early as 6:30am before they proceeded to walk round the town through Trinity Junction, Milikwe Road and down to Chattered Aluminum Junction.

The walking party connected to Ibeto Junction, Edo-Ezemewi road and to Bank road before getting to Nwanyi Imo Junction, through Ama-Hausa road. They passed down to Hundred Feet road and finally Orizu Roundabout of the same Nnewi town before settling back at the Nnewi High School having walked through Nnobi Road.

Speaking on the essence of the programme, the organiser, Valentine Ozigbo, an Anambra governorship aspirant, said the walk-for-health emphasized the importance of good health, especially this time of COVID-19 pandemic.

He noted that it was not only a means of sensitising the public on the importance of healthy living, but also to inform them that life should come first before the quest for wealth.

“We gathered here today to hold the third edition of our ‘walk for health’ which is so significant and important to our daily healthy living.

“Healthy life is not only of the flesh but includes mental and spiritual wellbeing. We want to advocate for total health and good economic health of Anambra people”, the business mogul said.

Meanwhile, before the sports event took off, Orient Daily learnt that a gang of unknown persons stormed the arena where the arrangement had been made to welcome participants, destroying the canopies and stage set for the sporting activity.

The hoodlums, believed to be agents of Ozigbo’s political opponents, also destroyed a large billboard Ozigbo at the entrance of the expansive compound.

In a swift reaction to the incident, another governorship hopeful, Chris Azubogu, condemned the attack, describing the destruction of the facilities set aside for the sports event as barbaric.

Azubogu, who is a member representing Nnewi North, South and Ekwusigo federal constituency called on the security operatives in the state to swing into action and ensure the arrest of the perpetrators of the destruction and make sure they are brought to book.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: