Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

We have complied with strike directives from NARD – Bayelsa resident doctors

0 17

By Kenechukwu Obiajuru, Yenagoa

Resident doctors in two teaching hospitals in Bayelsa state, on Tuesday, confirmed their withdrawal of services in compliance with a directive from the national leadership of National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD).


It was learnt that medical services at Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Yenagoa and Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital (NDUTH) were hampered with few consultants rendering skeletal services.


Dr Divine Irole, president of Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) at the FMC said that members of the association totally complied with the directives and were awaiting further instructions from the national leadership of the union.


“Feedback from the monitoring exercise conducted by my executive indicates that the compliance is 100 per cent. We have downed tools and the few consultants are providing skeletal services.


“A lot of patients have already been discharged. The consultants cannot cope with the number of patients so they have to be discharged. The truth is that bulk of the work in the health sector is done predominantly by resident doctors,” Irole said.


On whether the position of services by consultants was a threat to ongoing strike, Irole noted that the association did not see the action of the consultants as sabotage as they were very few in number.


“Residents do not see consultants’ services as sabotage. Consultants are not on strike but there is very little they can do without resident doctors. This is because the consultants are very few and that is why a lot of patients have been discharged,” Irole said.


Similarly, Dr Oru-Oru Inetsol, president of ARD at NDUTH said the consultants’ roles were not in conflict with the interest of resident doctors.


He said that ARD members were observing the strike.


NARD directed its members nationwide to proceed on an indefinite strike to demand the implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding it entered into with the federal government in March 2021.


Meanwhile, minister of employment, labour and productivity, Dr Chris Ngige, had, on Monday, expressed shock that the NARD had embarked on another strike after holding a similar successful evaluation meeting with him last week.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More