Kidnapping: Abducted Owerri Archdiocese bishop has not been killed
The Catholic Archdiocese of Owerri, Imo state has dismissed the reported death of Moses Chikwe, its auxiliary bishop.
Nnaemeka Njezi, the diocesean assistant secretary, said in a statement made available to reporters, the bishop’s death is unconfirmed and misleading.
It was reported earlier on how Chikwe was kidnapped on Sunday in Owerri, the state capital.
His abductors had attacked him and his driver at a location close to his residence.
But on Tuesday night, unconfirmed reports emerged online saying the bishop has been killed by his abductors.
Njezi denied the rumour hours after and asked Nigerians to continue to pray for the release of the bishop and his driver.
His statement read: “His Grace, Most Rev Anthony J. V. Obinna, Archbishop of Owerri, hereby requests all Christ’s faithful and people of goodwill at large to disregard the purported news feed on the killing of the Auxiliary Bishop of Owerri Archdiocese, Most Rev. Moses Chikwe.
“This information is unconfirmed, misleading and does not come from the Catholic Archdiocese of Owerri.
“We continue to appeal that all join the Archbishop in prayers for the release of Bishop Chikwe and Mr. Nduduisi Robert, his driver.”
The state police command earlier said it has deployed a tactical squad to hunt the kidnappers and free the captives.