Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

EBSU to relocate education faculty soon

0 84

By Ruth Oginyi

The vice chancellor of Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Professor Chigozie Ogbu, on Monday, said that the Ishieke Campus of the institution would be closed down and a faculty of education relocated to the permanent site of the university in Ezzangbo.

He said the school management wants to close the Ishieke campus, before the end of this year, 2021.

Ogbu spoke at the university permanent site, Ezzangbo, while briefing journalists on the protest staged by the students arising from the misfortune recorded during their GST test last week.

He said the university was working to remain the best in academics in the country as they have adopted some measures to reposition the university in line with global best practices.

Ogbu denied the allegations that some students lost their lives during the Wednesday stampede and exonerated the management of the institution from the ugly incident, maintaining that it was a hitch recorded in the computers that were already certified okay for the test by the ICT unit.

“There was no death casualty. Five persons sustained injuries as a result of the stampede that occurred while students were trying to enter the hall during the conduct of the Computer Based Test.

“It is not unusual to have a hitch in any technical issue of that magnitude, every effort was being made to make the examination a huge success, we planned to make sure that the computers all work well.”

On the welfare of the lecturers, Ogbu said that the management was owing 3-months arrears of salary to staff of the institution but that measures were in top gear to remedy the situation.

According to the VC, “from July 2020 we have been paying 80 percent of salary of staff; rather than owing let’s be paying 80 percent of salary, when things improve, we pay the remaining 20 percent.”

Corroborating the vice-chancellor, the deputy vice-chancellor (Academics) Professor J C Uneke, said that the university had recorded great success in academic standards and excellence.

“There has never been a time that academic standard at topmost except in the current administration, our College of Health Sciences in the best in West Africa.”

Uneke emphasised that the new permanent site of the College of Medicine located in Ohaozara local government area was medical tourism.

“We will go beyond 100 students, we will be given more to admit in medicine, surgery surgery, bio-chemistry and physiology, among others.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

%d bloggers like this: